A Week of Hello’s, Good bye’s and Renewal

    Photo by Angela Kirk

The past week has been a whirlwind of activity and although we are tired, Doc and I have had fun almost every step of the way.

After family left on Memorial Day and went back up north, it was only a few days before more company arrived. We were busy getting everything ready, planning activities and making calls necessary for everyone to get together, along with finding a way to get our normal work day in and complete our daily chores. I won’t lie, it was exhausting. After work on Wednesday, we went straight to the airport to pick up a friend named Marilyn that came all the way from Florida and after getting her settled in we were so tired we conked out early in bed.

The next day Doc and her friend left me at home to go to a retirement party for a very special police Sargent named Larry that has done special duty for over thirty years where we work. I have loved him since I was a puppy and although I understand that all good things must come to an end, it will be hard not seeing him at work where he kept all of us safe for many years. Doc let me put my paw print on the retirement card we gave him as I was not allowed in the restaurant. Can you believe that?

The next evening Doc thought it would be a good idea to get me out and about in preparation for me to physically come back into our work place after being at home for over a year. We went to the downtown of our suburb and it was busy. There were street musicians out playing, bicycles going by me, some unruly dogs barking at me and of course strangers asking to pet me. Doc said I passed with flying colors, but boy was I tired when we got home. I haven’t seen that many people all together in one place in over a year. I really had to focus and I think that’s what wore my doggy brain out.

The next day Doc told me I had an appointment with Dr. Ritchie at the vets office for a physical in order  to get my recertification as a therapy dog. What she neglected to tell me is that I would be getting some shots and other immunizations, not a nice surprise. The first shot was ok, I didn’t even whimper, but then they sprayed some stuff up my nose and I did not like that at all. I gave them the stink eye so they would know I was not pleased.  In the end they told me I was such a good boy that I could have as many treats and hugs as I wanted.

So here we are on Wednesday and all the guests are gone from the house, all the socialization is over and Doc and I are back to our daily schedule.  There is something to be said for predictability, but we also feel thankful for good friends and being able to celebrate all the happy times with them safely again.

  • connie siegle
    June 9, 2021

    Dear Grover, I am happy to hear that your physical went well and that you had an exciting time , out and about. I must confess, even though I do not enjoy crowds too much I have been elated to see the streets alive with activity. Hopefully the next step will be seeing you in the doggie flesh, lol. Pictures are great but I would enjoy a snuggle with one of my favorite fur friends. connie

    • Rebecca Harris
      June 9, 2021

      I for one cannot wait to see you Grover so glad you were able to see family and friends. Also glad that your check ups went well!